Saturday, April 5, 2008

No Actuarial Science Program? No Problem... I think

I was looking at all the majors that my university offered and voila, no Actuarial Science. But there is a "Actuary Program" offered by the Finance Department. The program basically suggests which classes to take. They also offer workshops that help you prepare for Exam P(CAS Exam 1) and a class that supposedly covers the topics from Exam FM(CAS Exam 2). My school's Actuary Program website recommended that students who are pursuing a career in Actuarial Science should either major in Mathematics or Business Administration with a concentration in Finance and Mathematics minor. I have already declared my major as Business Administration and since I'm too lazy to switch majors, I'll just stick with that and declare a Finance concentration and Mathematics minor. Plus, even though I like math, I don't like it THAT much. Somehow the thought of taking a bunch of classes on math theory does not seem very appealing to me.


On a side note, I just found out that my school, California State University, Fullerton(CSUF for short), just formed the newest chapter of the Gamma Iota Sigma fraternity. This fraternity serves students who are interested in the insurance industry, risk management, actuarial science, etc.... If this frat survives till the next semester, I will definetely check them out. It would provide me a great avenue in networking with people in the actuarial field and fellow students who are pursuing an actuarial career.

No comments: